August 25, 2016
Alert #3 – CPC Says No To Government Request To Extend Strike Mandate
Things are moving quickly. The National Executive Board (NEB) has been meeting since early this morning. The press conference has been postponed until further notice.
Canada Post Refused Extension
Yesterday, the Government proposed that the parties agree to a 24-hour extension of our strike mandate. The NEB agreed to this proposal but Canada Post refused it. How many more times will the Government allow Canada Post management to ignore its requests? The Government also stated that it will appoint a high-profile mediator.
Based on Canada Post’s refusal to agree to the 24-hour extension of our strike mandate, we have issued our 72-hour notice of strike activity. We will be in a legal strike position as of 11:59 pm Sunday, August 28, 2016. The NEB will inform everyone if, when and what strike activities will occur. Please monitor all communication channels so that you are informed.
Why Issue the 72-Hour Notice?
We never wanted a strike. We wanted to negotiate good collective agreements for all CUPW postal workers. Canada Post did not want to negotiate. Canada Post wanted to force rollbacks and concessions on us. Canada Post has left us no choice. We will stand and fight against rollbacks, for retirement security and for pay equity. We are determined to improve both collective agreements. This is why we have issued our 72-hour notice of strike activity today.
Now is the Time to Stand Our Ground!
Click this link to see the Canada Labour Code:
CANADA LABOUR CODE
PICTURES FROM AROUND THE LOCAL
- 2016 AUG 25 - 280 PROGRESS
- 2016 AUG 24 - WEST BEAVER CREEK
- 2016 AUG 23 - MAPLE
- 2016 AUG 20 - SCARBOROUGH LOCAL PICNIC
- 2016 AUG 19 - 280 PROGRESS - RED & WHITE DAY
- 2016 AUG 19 - 55 TEMPO
- 2016 AUG 18 - BRAMPTON TOWN HALL
- 2016 AUG 18 - YORK REGION TOWN HALL
- 2016 AUG 17 - SCARBOROUGH TOWN HALL
- 2016 AUG 17 - DON VALLEY WEST TOWN HALL
- 2016 AUG 17 - WILLOWDALE B
- 2016 AUG 12 - RICHMOND HILL RETAIL
- 2016 AUG 11 - Y.D.C.
- 2016 AUG 09 - MP BILL MORNEAU'S OFFICE
- 2016 AUG 08 - RICHMOND HILL
- 2016 AUG 05 - 280 PROGRESS AVE., RED & WHITE DAY
- 2016 AUG 04 - WILLOWDALE D
- 2016 AUG 02 - STOUFFVILLE
- 2016 JUL 28 - HARWOOD AVE. / AJAX
- 2016 JUL 26 - 14TH AVENUE
- 2016 JUL 25 - SCARBOROUGH DEPOT 11
- 2016 JUL 22 - 70 WYNFORD DRIVE
- 2016 JUL 19 - 31 BRODIE AVE.
- 2016 JUL 18 - 280 PROGRESS
MEDIA FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY ON THE CPC LOCKOUT
2016-08-20 - Arbitrator chooses Canada Post's proposal in final offer selection process with postmasters association (CPAA)
2016-08-19 - CEO of Canada Post needs to be removed: National Union | National Union of Public and General Employees’
2016-08-19 - CUPW Info Rally in Grand Falls-Windsor Addressing Disparity Between Urban, Rural Workers
The National Union web site is at:
CANADIAN UNION OF POSTAL WORKERS
This Local is affiliated with the Canadian Labour Congress, Ontario Federation of Labour and the Labour Council Metropolitan Toronto and York Region and the Durham Region Labour Council.
The Local is composed of the members as a whole. It is comprised of a Local Executive Committee which shall consist of at least 11 members in good standing. The members, at regular monthly Membership and Special meetings or by a referendum vote are the Supreme Authority of the Local.